Thursday, September 6, 2012

Stuffed Crepes with Raspberry Sauce

Tonight I decided I wanted to do a little bit of experimenting in the kitchen.  I bought some raspberries earlier this week, and they needed to be used up.  I thought about doing a cobbler, but I that just didn't sound all that appealing today.  Instead I decided to go with some stuff crepes.  We love having breakfast for dinner in our house, and usually we'll do it once a week.  Here's what I came up with for tonight.

Stuffed Crepes with Raspberry Sauce



Crepes

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted


Combined all ingredients in a mixing bowl, adding the butter last (you may need to add a little extra water if your mixture is too thick...it should be slightly runny).  Heat a frying pan or griddle on medium high heat, and lightly butter or spray cooking surface.  Use a 1/4 c measuring cup to pour batter on to the pan.  Cook both sides until light browned.

Raspberry Sauce

6oz red raspberries, mashed
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 tsp cornstarch

Mix berries, sugar, and water in a pot.  Heat on medium high height, whisking occasionally.  Don't boil, just heat until sauce is hot and just begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and add 1 tsp cornstarch.  Whisk well.

Sweet Cream Cheese Filling

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Use a hand mixer to thoroughly combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.

Assembly:
Lay out one crepe.  Spoon as much or as little cream cheese filling on one side, and roll it up so cream cheese ends up in the middle.  Spoon raspberry sauce on top.



I paired my crepes with some tasty bacon.  My favorite way to cook bacon is in the oven.  I use a wire cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet.  This way the fat drains away from the bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment