Friday, March 14, 2014

Are You a Fan of The Game of Thrones? A Feast Fit for a King Part 1...


I am a huge Game of Thrones fan.  I’ve read the books multiple times.  I have the audiobooks so I can listen to the books during long car trips.  I’ve seen the show, and I’m quite impressed that HBO is actually sticking pretty close to the original story line (unlike other shows *cough*TrueBlood*cough*). 

Anyways, you can imagine my excitement when I learned there was an official Game of Thrones cookbook.  It’s called A Feast of Fire & Ice.  It is seriously a legit cookbook.  The recipes are based off of the various cuisines within the Game of Thrones world. 

I’ve wanted to test out the recipes for some time now, but lack of time has prevented me from doing some.  Some of the recipes require a bit prep time, and it’s really hard sometimes finding that kind of time with a 4yr old, 2yr old, and 10 month old trying to “help”. 

 Sansa Salad

This salad is easily a meal on its own, but it also makes a great first course with a smaller portion size.  I was unable to find edible flowers to garnish my salad with since it’s not the right season, but hopefully the next time we try this recipe I’ll be able to get my hands on some fresh ones.

7c Baby Spinach

1c Fresh Mint Leaves

1c Diced Prunes

½ c Candied Walnuts

½ c Fresh Lemongrass, thinly sliced

Optional:  ¼ c Edible Flowers (usually you can find these near the packages of fresh herbs in the produce section)

Raspberry Vinaigrette

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Toss and serve.  You can toss the dressing, or you can leave it off and let each person add as much as he or she wants. 
This salad was amazing.  I’m actually excited that we have leftovers plus enough ingredients left to make it again.  I think it would be great with some grilled chicken maybe even a feta or a blue cheese if you are looking to add more protein and make a full meal out of it.  It stands alone perfectly, and I only wish I could have gotten my hands on those flowers just to add an extra pop of color and texture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment