Monday, February 17, 2014

Oatmeal Flaxseed Banana Bread


I love banana bread.  This is a recipe I came up with a few months back.  I was looking for something different.  I wanting a filling breakfast bread that I could eat in the morning.  With three young kids, I don’t always have time to make something for myself in the morning before we have to be out the door.  I am also breastfeeding my youngest, so in an effort to boost milk production, I want to create a recipe that included both oatmeal and flaxseed.  These two foods are thought to help boost the milk supply in breastfeeding women.  I can’t guarantee it will work for everyone, but it did help me.  Don’t worry this is a recipe that the whole family can enjoy.  My youngest two especially love this bread. 

Oatmeal Flaxseed Banana Bread

5 ripe bananas, mashed

1 egg, beaten

1/2c sugar

1/2c butter (1 stick)

1tsp vanilla

2tsp baking powder

1/2tsp cinnamon

1/4tsp nutmeg

1/4c ground flaxseed

1 1/2c flour

1/2c old fashion cooking oats (oatmeal)

Preheat oven to 350*F.  Grease a bread pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, egg, sugar, butter, and vanilla.  Set aside. 

In a medium bowl combine your remaining ingredients.  Slowly add your dry ingredients to the banana mixture. 

Bake for 1hr-1hr 15 minutes.  Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf.  If it comes out clean it is done.  Allow the banana bread to cool completely on a wire rack before you remove the loaf from the pan.
I totally recommend drizzling some honey across the top during the final 10 minutes of the baking process.  Just remember, honey is NOT recommended for infants under the age of 1 due to the risk of infant botulism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment