Thursday, February 6, 2014

Savory Chicken? Eh, Not so Memorable

I apologize, but no pics with this one. I've had a busy couple days.  I have been busily trying to put my degree to use, and unfortunately I have had to turn down a couple jobs recently due to inflexibility and/or the hourly wage being too low.  I've been so busy running around trying to plan and make things work,  and I am beyond thrilled that I decided to do this month long challenge.  I think we would be living on take out this week without it. 

Savory Chicken was another recipe from Crock Pot Meals for a Month that I wasn't sure about.  I think my issue was that I tried to use frozen broccoli instead of freeze.  My end result was a watered down chicken dish that I salvaged by shredding the chicken and thickening up the cooking liquid with a cornstarch slurry.  Salt and pepper are a must, otherwise the end result is terribly bland.  The dish wasn't terrible, but its not something I plan on going out of my way to cook again.  I do have another bag frozen in the freezer to get through, but after that I may try to play around with the recipe to improve the flavors.

Savory Chicken

4-6 Chicken Breasts
2 15oz cans of Stewed Tomatoes
1 1/4c Chicken Broth
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
4c Broccoli
2 Bay Leaves (do not eat these...they are just for adding flavor)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Divide all the ingredients between 2 gallons size freezer bags.  Cook for 6-8hrs.

I shredded the chicken and served it over seasoned rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment