Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Here's a Tasty Spin on a Kid Favorite!

I wish I had a picture of this one.  I'll have to remember to take one the next time I make it. Dexter is going through this whole "anti-fruit" phase right now, so I find myself having to come up with new and clever ways of hiding it in his favorite foods.  I wanted to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches one day, but realized I was out of jelly.  I had some over ripe bananas, but I needed to be sneaky when trying to substitute them in place of the jelly.  Here's what I can up with.

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast

4 slices of bread
1 egg
Milk
Dash of cinnamon
Peanut butter
½ an over ripe banana, mashed
Butter
Honey

In a shallow dish, beat egg, milk and cinnamon until thoroughly combine.

Spread a layer of peanut butter on two slices of bread.  Spread mashed banana on top of peanut butter.  Place other slices of bread on top of the peanut butter and banana spread.
Dip each side of bread into egg mixture, use hand to ensure the bread is covered with mixture. 
Place each “sandwich” on to a heated skillet (you can use a small amount of butter, olive oil, or cooking spray to prevent sticking if you wish), and cook on med high heat until golden brown .  Once one side is golden brown, spread a small amount of butter followed by 1 drop of honey on bread (spread the honey to cover that entire side).  When opposite side has cooked completely, flip it over and let the honey side cook for approx. 1-2 minute or so, turning down heat if needed.  You want the honey to melt into the bread.  The bread will look shiny and the honey won’t be as sticky when it is done.  

The filling will be hot, so if serving to a child cut the French toast first so it can cool faster. 

This has become a favorite in our house.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Gah! No picture! I can't pin it! :( ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could put a random pic of one of the kids up if you'd like. ;-)

      Delete