Thursday, August 23, 2012

The 3lb Plan...Part 1

If you read my previous post, then you will remember I was trying to defrost a pack of ground beef.  If you didn't read it, I'm sure you'll figure out that I'm working with ground beef today.  Anyways, my ground beef is defrosted.  I tend to buy the larger packs of ground beef when I go shopping.  It's just cheaper.  Usually I'll try to portion them before I freeze them, but this last time I forgot.  Once you defrost something, you cannot refreeze it, unless you cook it off first.

Alright, so I have 3lbs of ground beef to play with.  Here's my plan:

Nachos with a Creamy Salsa
Bacon n Cheese Guac Burgers on King Hawaiian Buns
1 lb will be cooked off and frozen for a future meal

Tonight I'm in the mood for nachos.  The kids have to eat dinner a little earlier than normal today, so I've decided I'll make nachos for me and Rick since we don't need to eat until later.  As you can tell from the title, this post is going to be divided.  Part 1 will focus on the nachos, and Part 2 will will be the guac burgers (I'll post that part tomorrow).

Nachos with a Creamy Salsa

1 lb Ground Beef, cooked and drained                        
1 packet of Taco Seasoning
2 dashes of Tabasco Sauce (optional)
Tortilla Chips
1/2 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Jalapenos, drained
Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper

4oz Salsa
4oz Cream Cheese, softened


Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Cook and drain your ground beef, then season it according to the directions on the taco seasoning packet.  Add a couple dashes of tabasco sauce to the taco meat.  Now you can begin to layer your nachos.  Start with the tortilla chips, then the taco meat, cheese, black beans, and finally the jalapenos.  Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until your cheese is melted.  (Note:  You can use the broiler, but keep an eye on your chips.  The broiler cooks a lot hotter and faster, and tortilla chips tend to burn rather quick.)


While your nachos are cooking, you can being making your creamy salsa.  In a small mixing bowl, combine salsa and cream cheese.  Stir well.

Once the nachos are complete transfer them to a larger platter and serve the creamy salsa on the side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment