Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Whats for Dinner Tonight?

It's a leftover challenge!

I have leftover chicken and plain pasta leftover in my fridge.  I want to use these up, so for inspiration I turn to pinterest.  There is a recipe on my Food Experiments board that I've made quite a few times before that I absolutely love, Egg Rolls and Asian Spaghetti.  I am actually pulling inspiration for this dish from the Asian Spaghetti part of this recipe.  Check out the link below for the original recipe:

Egg Rolls and Asian Spaghetti

Asian Styled Chicken Spaghetti

What you'll need:

1-2 Chicken Breasts, skinless, cooked and chopped (I used a left over leg quarter (leg and thigh) plus 1 additional leg, but you can use whatever you have on hand if using leftovers)
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 box Spaghetti Noodles, cooked  (I used my leftover noodles, approximately 1/2 a box)
1 Carrot, shredded
4 Green Onions, diced
1/4 tsp ground Ginger, (or 1 tbsp fresh Ginger, minced)
1/3 c Soy Sauce
1tbsp Oil (I prefer Olive Oil, but Vegetable Oil works just as well for this recipe)



Grater, Vegetable Peeler, Chefs Knife,
Paring Knife, and Containers for
the Prepped Food

If you have time earlier in the day, get your prep work done.  You can chop the chicken and shred and dice your carrots and green onions in advance.  It makes the whole cooking process go faster.  Before you begin, gather all materials that you need for the prep.  Once everything is shredded and chopped, refrigerate until you are ready to cook.
All prepped and ready to go!












I like using a wok when cooking dishes like this.  They are larger than your standard saute pan, and are a lot better at distributing heat.  You can use a regular saute pan (aka frying pan) if you don't have a wok.  Keep in mind that since they are smaller you may need to cook smaller amounts at a time in order to heat everything thoroughly.

Read the instructions that came with your wok for the proper way to clean, season, and store it. 



 Let's Get Started!

Turn your heat on medium high (you may need to lower the heat if using a wok).  Add oil once pan/wok has been heated.  Once oil is hot, add green onions and ginger.  When it is fragrant, add meat, then carrots.  Next add your noodles, and cook until hot.  This whole process goes relatively quick when using a wok.  Add soy sauce next (you can add more or less per your own taste), and toss mixture well.  Push noodle mixture off to the sides of the pan and add your beaten egg.  Push egg around and cook like you would a scrambled egg.  Stir fry all ingredients for another minute and then remove pan from heat.  

Adding the Egg
Finished!










I'm paring this with some store bought egg rolls.  I love making my own, but since we had some in the freezer, I decided they needed to be used up first.


2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Is there a way to prepare it without a wok? Would a frying pan yield the same results? We don't have a wok, but I'd be willing to buy one for this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a frying pan would work. You made need to divide it up and do two separate batches though. If your pan is too full it won't distribute heat properly, which will cause your cook time to be longer. :-)

      Delete