Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Crock Pot San Francisco Pork Chops

I think I need to do these freezer cooking and crock pot challenges more often.  The amount of time I've saved myself over the last couple weeks has been amazing.  I love it!

Last night we decide to try out the San Francisco Pork Chops recipe from Crock Pot Meals for a Month.  My house smelled amazing while it was cooking, and the pork chops tasted just as good as they smelled.  This recipe really didn't need much of a change from the original.  I opted not to sear the meat prior to placing in the crock pot since I froze everything together. This will be a recipe that I make again. 



San Francisco Pork Chops, Mixed Veggies, Whole Grain
Wild Rice, and Tapioca Pudding
 
Slow Cooker San Francisco Pork Chops

4 pork chops, bone out and thick cut (about 1in quick)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4c reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/4c chicken broth

2tbsp brown sugar

1/4tsp red pepper flakes

1tbsp cornstarch

1tbsp cold water

Place all ingredients minus the cornstarch and water into a gallon size freezer bag.

To cook, place ingredients (minus the cornstarch and water) in a crock pot and cook for 5-8hrs.  Once pork is cooked, remove from crock pot and transfer to a plate.  Whisk together cornstarch and water, and then stir it into the cooking liquid in the crock pot.  Return pork to crock pot and continue cooking for 30 minutes. 
***Mixing the cornstarch and cold water together creates a slurry which is used as a thickening agent for the sauce.  It is important to wait until everything is cooked prior to adding this.  The longer it cooks once it has been added, the thicker the sauce will become, and if added too early the sauce may become too thick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment