Saturday, January 18, 2014

Crockpot Meals for a Month?

I'm sure you've seen it floating around Facebook, or maybe a friend has it pinned on Pinterest.  Crockpot meals for a month.  If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here.  Its basically freezer cooking.  You prep and freeze a bunch of meals in order to save yourself time.  This particular one I've seen being shared by everyone I know claims you can do it for under $75.  I decided to accept the challenge. 

I coupon. I price match.  I search fliers to compare prices, and I rely on various coupon blogs to find unadvertised deals and various deal scenarios.  I like to think I'm pretty good at it.  Now, I had several of the seasonings needs for these recipes on hand.  I went with store brand items for a majority of the non-perishable goods.  I divided my shopping between Target and Walmart, using coupons, the Target Cartwheel app, and used my Red card to save an additional 5% off my order.  I have no clue how they did this for $75.  The meat alone came to almost that much.  Now it could be that grocery costs are just slightly more expensive here in Wisconsin, but I'm thinking that maybe they missed something along the way.  If you plan on doing this yourself, go with a higher estimate.  If you are not couponing, and you don't have any of the supplies at home, expect to spend a lot more.  I can't say exactly how much I spent because I was shopping for other items, but I'd say I spent at least $125 on the ingredients for this challenge.
How did it turn out?  Well, you will have to check back later to find out.  :-)  I did have of my prep work last night, and I'll be doing the rest this morning.  You will spend 3+ hours preparing these recipes.  Also, make sure you have adequate freezer space before you attempt this. 

I will update again later with pics, and I will share my thoughts on each recipe as we try them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment