Monday, January 20, 2014

Quite Possibly the BEST Cookies Ever!

Yesterday I was trying to find something to do with my kiddos.  My 2 year old daughter was running around the kitchen asking for cookies, so I thought it might be fun to attempt to make some cookies with my kids.  My son decided he'd rather go play with his Legos, and my daughter got scared by the hand mixer.  Within the first five minutes it was just me and the baby left to do all the work. 

I really want to make some sort of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.  I turned to pinterest to find something.  This is what I found:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
The recipe looked awesome, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I did make a couple small changes to the ingredients when I made them.  I felt there was far too much sugar in the original recipe, so I opted to reduce the amount of both the brown and white sugars by 1/4c each.  I used dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.  I did not have any coco powder or peanuts on hand, so I left those out.  I also made a note about creaming the sugars and butters together for at least 10 minutes.  It results in a fluffy, creamy mixture, and really adds to the final product.  Below are the ingredients and instructions that I changed.  To see the original recipe click on the link above. 

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven to 350*F

Ingredients


1c (2 sticks) butter, softened

3/4c granulated sugar

3/4c brown sugar

3/4c peanut butter

2 lrg eggs, remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to using

1tsp vanilla

2c all-purpose flour

2tsp baking powder

1pkg dark chocolate chips

1 1/2c quick-cooking rolled oats
  1. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, and peanut butter together for approximately 10 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then add vanilla, mixing until smooth.  Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. 
  2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture, ensuring to mix well after each addition.  Once mixed, add dark chocolate chips and oatmeal.  Stir well.
  4. Drop dough in rounded 2-tablespoon portions, 3 inches apart, onto a greased cookie sheet, or use cooking parchment to line the cookie sheet.  Use a fork to flatten the dough into  2 1/2-inch rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
  5. Bake at 350*F for approximately 12 to 14 minutes until cookies are golden.  Cookies may feel under cooked, but let them rest of the cookie sheet for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.  Carry over cooking from the heat of the pan will finish the baking process. 
  6. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.  Once cookies are cooled.  Store in an air tight container. 
My batch yielded 40 cookies, but I did make a couple pans on the larger side.  You could easily yield 4 dozen (48) cookies from this recipe.  They are very addicting, so be cautious when enjoying this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment