Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Month of Crocking Continues with Chicken Curry


It's been a few days into this Crock Pot Meals for a Month challenge that I started, but I can already tell you that I am loving how easy dinner has been for us.  I will pull out whichever meal we want out of the freeze and put it in the fridge the night before we plan on having it.  I'll put it into the crock pot around lunch time, and right around five or so hours later dinner is ready.  Its been a great time saver.  I will admit that Monday night we totally cheated and ordered pizza, but it was one of those days that we were out and about most of the afternoon. 

(divide this recipe between two gallon sized freezer bags)

Ingredients

3tbs all-purpose flour

4tbs curry powder

2tsp ground cumin

2lbs chicken

2c sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used 1 large sweet potato per bag)

2c baby carrots

1 mango, peeled and chopped

1 zucchini, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1c chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

Optional:  raisins, peanuts, cashews…  to use as a garnish

Cook for 4-6 hours on low.  Once the chicken was cooked, I decided to use two forks to shred the chicken.  If you wish to thicken your curry, you can make a cornstarch slurry from 1tbs cornstarch and 1tbs cold water.  Whish the two together, and then stir it into the curry 30 minutes prior to serving. 

Make sure to taste and season your curry with salt and pepper prior to serving.  I found it to taste rather bland, but a little bit of salt and pepper greatly improved the flavoring.  I did not add the raisins, peanuts, or cashews because my kids do not like them. Overall my family really enjoy this recipe, and I’m glad they do because we have leftover to eat tonight, and an additional bag in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment